I am a teacher, musician, writer, programmer, and journalist. I have many interests and passions, and they come together through my work in its many forms. Above all I like to be creative, and to learn and try new things.
City University New York
Adjunct Instructor in Data Journalism, 2021-2023
➔ Taught two semesters of Fundamentals of Data Journalism, a first-semester course for incoming M.A. students at CUNY journalism school, and one of Coding the News, which focuses on advanced web programming for journalists.
➔ Topics covered include data storytelling, data analysis and reporting with Excel, statistics for journalists, and creating journalistic charts and maps.
➔ Helped create the documentary video series Because China. I was the primary reporter, interviewer, and script-writer for several episodes. I reported from many countries for the show, including Zambia, Brazil, Taiwan, Malaysia, and Kenya.
➔ Wrote feature articles on a wide range of topics—including language, Facebook, Chinese politics, the internet, philosophy, and more—encompassing investigative reporting, data journalism, essays, reportage, and satire.
➔ Was a member of Quartz’s “Things” team, which was responsible for experiments in journalism involving data visualization, data-driven reporting, graphics, mapping, and interactive stories. My work in this area won several accolades, including multiple Malofiej, Data Journalism, and Information is Beautiful awards.
The Global Mail
Data Journalist, 2012-2014
➔ Produced collaborative data-driven stories, visualizations, and interactives at this (now-defunct) Australian public-interest journalism outlet. Stories included an interactive video documentary of an asylum seeker’s journey from Afghanistan to Australia, and a data-driven investigation of post-traumatic stress disorder in the Australian military.
- Able to apply these languages and tools to a wide range of tasks including data analysis, data visualization, web development, scripting, and writing custom applications
- Adept keyboard player and music producer familiar with many DAWs, mixing techniques, and instruments
- English: Native
- Mandarin Chinese: Fluent, with certificate of Taiwan’s Chinese proficiency test at the “Superior” level
- Spanish: Upper-Intermediate, comfortable in professional and conversational settings and reporting
- SABEW Best in Business Journalism, Video, Medium and Small Division, 2019, for Because China
- Webby People’s Voice Winner, News and Politics Video Series, 2020, for Because China
- Gerald Loeb Award Finalist, Video category, 2019, for Because China
- Several Information is Beautiful awards for work at Quartz, including a gold in the People, Language, and Culture category in 2017.
- Malofiej Graphics award, Bronze, for portfolio of work with Quartz colleagues over 2017
B.A. in Philosophy
Michigan State University, 2005 - 2009
➔ Electives in history and Spanish, and one semester abroad at Universidad San Francisco de Quito in Ecuador. My philosophy studies focused on continental philosophy and feminist theory.